Last year, Iowa State faculty secured a total of 34 U.S. patents, improving Iowa State University’s world ranking (#69) for number of U.S. patents. Total external funding for FY 2019 was $469 million, the third-highest total ever for Iowa State University.
- 2018 Total R&D Expenditures: $361,206,000
- Ranked 70th in Total R&D Expenditures
- 2018 Life Science R&D Expenditures: $151,654,000
- 2020 Total NIH funding: $18,270,482
- The University set a new record in FY 2019 by securing $260.9 million in grants and contracts for faculty research
- External research funding supported more than 1,300 research projects, including projects to study structural biology at the molecular level, develop a nanovaccine for the flu, identify catalysts that lead to biorenewable chemicals and build a data system that helps inform policy about the care and education of young children.